Pt. Deepak Maharaj (ディーパク・マハーラージ)
Eigth generation of Lucknow gharana. The joy of dancing!
Deepak Maharaj was born on 25th February 1970 in Delhi in the illustrious family of the Kalka-Bindadin Gharana. He received his training at a tender age from his father the renowned Kathak maestro Pt. Birju Maharaj. He began performing on stage from the young age of nine and also accompanied his father on many concert tours in India and abroad.
He has performed leading roles in dance dramas choreographed by Maharaj ji, most notably amongst them Krishnayan, Kumar Sambhav, Katha Raghunath Ki, Rupmati-Bajbhadur, Shan-e-Awadh etc. These concerts and his solo performances were received with critical acclaim in India, U.K., U.S.A, Canada, Italy, Dubai, Germany, France, Australia, Russia etc.
He has also been invited to give lecture demonstrations by SPIC-MACAY at various institutions all over the country.
He is also certified as an ‘A’ grade aritist by Doordarshan Kendra, New Delhi. Deepak is also an excellent vocalist & a good percussionist. With his various achievements he has emerged as the torch bearer of the Kalka-Bindadin Gharana.
- Romeo in the ballet Romeo & Juliet which has been staged in various cities in India.
- Kathak Kendra Dance Festival at Hyderabad
- Yuva Mahotsava organized by Sahitya Kala Parishad
- Sawai Gandharva Mahotsava at Pune
- Sur Sringar at Bombay
- Chakradhar Samaroh at Raigarh organized by Ustad Allaudin Khan Sangeet Academy
- Khajuraho Festival organized by the Madhya Pradesh Govt.
- Asian Music Circuit at London
- Festival of India at USSR
- Kathak Dance Festival at Reunion Islands organized by ICCR
- Dance Festival by Natraj Kala Parishad at Varanasi
- Mahatma Gandhi Sangeet Academy at Aurangabad
- Abhijat Nritya & Sangeet Academy at Nasik
- Sringar Mani Award by the Sur Sringar Academy in 1996
- The Indira Gandhi Priyadarshini Award from the All India National Unity Conference in 2006
- The Yuva Darpan Award on the occasion of International Youth Day in 2007
With youthful exuberance, he regaled the audience with select gems from the Lucknow gharana repertoire. ˜Sunil Kothari